Mara Hancock, the Director of Educational Technologies at UC Berkeley, was one of 40 international participants at the Open EdTech Summit. The Open EdTech Summit was held in Barcelona, from October 19-20, 2009 and was sponsored by the Open University of Catalunya and the New Media Consortium (NMC). “During the small group breakouts, summit attendees generated fifty action items that could be taken right now to help realize the goal of creating an institution truly responsive to the needs of students in the 21st Century.” The summit concluded with the release of OET communiqué: Create the University of the Future, which is a call to action for open education. This call to action lists the following “major tasks that are perceived as critical to achieving open education:”
NMC and UOC Release Call to Action for Open Education
1. We must encourage the reuse and remixing of rich media.
2. We must embrace the full promise of mobile devices as learning platforms.
3. We must award credentials based on learning outcomes.
4. We must enable a culture of sharing.
5. We must take care that open resources include the context that will enable its use and understanding.